La Senyera

I mentioned in my previous post, I would take photos that would show how Catalunya was celebrating la Diada Nacional de Catalunya.

I was excited to gallivant anywhere in Barcelona for the day was sunny and just a slight tad to annoyance, humid.

I forged ahead and ahead and ahead, perspiring in a way that would make a truck driver proud.

La Senyera

Plaça de la Revolución
Barcelona, 2008

The town was eerily dead, silent and comatose. Not a political rally, nor music nor any other festivity to be seen or heard; just as if Garcia’s citizens had been sucked up by a powerful vacuum.

What the heck happened? Somewhere in this beautiful city, memorial services were held and I totally missed the WHOLE affair!!

La Senyera

Plaça de Rius y Taulet
Barcelona, 2008

I made an executive decision consisting of one to take photos of la Senyera, (the Catalan flag) with its 4 red bars on a yellow background.

Legend says that the 4 red bars represent the bloody fingers of a dying Catalan patriot as he scratched the earth. Actually, the colors represent the coat of arms from the king of Aragon.

La Senyera has such a colorful history that you might want to check out Wiki or some other source for I couldn't write about the flag any better than what I've read.

I roamed through the 5 major plaças in the heart of Gràcia and some side streets.

You might be interested to see the plaças you have read about and for those who've moved away maybe a bit of nostalgia.

Enjoy!!

 La Diada Nacional de Catalunya, 2008 View barcalunacy's La Diada Nacional de Catalunya, 2008 FLCKR photoset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...